When I first understood that my family and I experienced spiritual abuse at the church we left, I believed it happened due to the lack of accountability from a denominational membership. Or that churches who taught the prosperity gospel were the only ones prone to toxic leadership.
I believed Giant Church Inc was limited to a few places. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
I never knew how widespread and common Giant Church Inc is within all denominations and kinds of Christian organizations. What’s more disturbing is that some refuse to see it, and worse…..some see it and don’t care.
For the Ones Who Want to See
This is for the ones who do care. This is for those who are trying to figure out if they’re part of Giant Church Inc.
- If you know more about how to stay fit and fabulous or how to get out of debt from your church leaders than you know about the stories of how Jesus interacted with the poor and outcast, then you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
- If the pastor of your church calls himself the CEO, you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
- If you and your friends feel more like giving or labor units who keep the place running, instead of fellow disciples learning to love God and others, you might be in Giant Church Inc.
- If gossip is a recurring subject of sermons throughout the year and questions, doubts, and healthy criticism are considered gossip, you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
- If there is an inner circle of pastors, staff, leaders, and highest bidders (I mean givers), you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
- If the pastors and leaders teach the umbrella of protection visual as a way to tell you about spiritual authority and the roles of men and women, you probably are at Giant Church Inc.
- If you’ve noticed high turnover of church staff, leaders, pastors, and members…..you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
- If biblical manhood at your church requires target practice, being humiliated by church leaders, giving thousands over and beyond the tithe, and an application fee to participate, you are definitely at Giant Church Inc.
- If you or anyone at the church has ever covered for a leader in any way, if you are told to keep secrets, hide the truth, or not talk about or ask why so and so left…..you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
- And finally, if your pastor has been featured on the Preachers N Sneakers Instagram page, you might be part of Giant Church Inc.
Fun But Serious
Sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves. This is an attempt to do that but in no way minimizes the seriousness of spiritual abuse and the damage caused by Giant Church Inc.
My hope is to point the Church back to Jesus Christ while educating us about toxic church and Christian organization cultures.
Jesus is the One we follow and worship. He’s the One who saves. Let us learn to be more like Him in how we live and love. May the pastors entrusted to show us the way in that be humble and courageous enough to do it.